“Regarding the 35 bus the story so far:-
I got a phone call from a lady in Bedloes Avenue saying that she’d heard that the 35 bus was going to be withdrawn on July 1st. I phoned Mr Shaun Scrutton as head of transportation at Rochford District Council who said he’d heard nothing about it but promised to follow it up.
On Friday late afternoon I had a call from his PA to say that Essex County Council had reported that “there is to be a review” of the service. Read into that what you will! It’s something we need to keep our eyes on.”
No plans to withdraw village bus service
A TRANSPORT company may make some timetable changes to a bus service that acts as a lifeline to elderly people living in two small villages.
The 35 route between Southend and Chelmsford is the only one running through Raw-reth and Battlesbridge, and also serves an area of new housing developments in Rawreth Lane, Rayleigh.
The service was under threat earlier this year when First Buses announced it was planning to withdraw it. However, Stansted Transit took over the service and kept it running to the same timetable.
However, fears have been raised that the service may again be vulnerable.
Rochford district councillor Ron Oatham, Liberal Democrat member for Downhall and Rawreth, raised the issue with Shaun Scrutton, council head of planning, after a resident told him he was worried the service would be withdrawn for a second time.
Mr Scrutton moved to allay fears, saying: “I have discussed the issue with the county council’s passenger transport department and I understand there are plans for timetable changes.
“There are no proposals to withdraw the service completely.”
Stansted Transit was not available to comment on the matter