Stabbing Incident Attempted Murder.

We’ve heard some grim news that there was a stabbing in Downhall Road , Rayleigh last night – lots of police on the scene. We’ll update this when when we get some further info.

Update at 6pm Thursday: the Echo reports as follows:

THREE suspects have been arrested for attempted murder following a stabbing in Rayleigh last night.
A 32-year-old man had been attacked inside the Downhall Stores off licence, in Downhall Road, at about 9.20pm. He was loaded onto a stretcher and taken by ambulance to Southend Hospital where his condition was described as stable.
Police then raided a house in Downhall Way this morning before arresting two men, aged 44 and 43, and a 17-year-old boy.
A 23-year-old man had already been arrested at the shop on suspicion of a separate assault which was connected to the fracas.
Anyone with information should call Southend police on 0300 333 4444.

‘Downhall Way ‘should read Downhall Park Way’. Armed police and a helicopter were involved….

Update at 9:45 pm Thursday: The Essex Police website now reports:

Five people have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following a stabbing at Rayleigh on Wednesday, June 23.
Police were called to Downhall Road at about 9.25pm following reports that a man had been stabbed inside a shop.
The injured man, who is aged 32 and from the Rayleigh area, was taken to Southend University Hospital. His condition was described as stable on Thursday morning.
The five people arrested on suspicion of attempted murder were a man aged 44, a woman aged 43 and a boy aged 17 and a boy aged 15 all from Rayleigh and a 19-year-old man from Poplar, east London. All five were arrested on Thursday, June 24. They remain in custody and are being interviewed by detectives.
A 23-year-old Rayleigh man, who was arrested on suspicion of assault at the shop, also remains in custody.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact detectives at Soutuhend on 0300 333 4444 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111

Update at 7:30 am Friday: The BBC website has a report stating that the main persons arrested were from Southend, not Rayleigh:

Five people have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man was stabbed in Rayleigh in Essex.
A 32-year-old man was taken to Southend University Hospital on Wednesday morning after being stabbed in premises in Downhall Road.
A man, 44, a woman, 43, and two boys, aged 15 and 17, from Southend, and a 19-year-old man from east London were arrested on suspicion of murder.
The victim is currently in a stable condition in hospital.
A 23-year-old man from Rayleigh is also being questioned by detectives after he was arrested on suspicion of assault.

  • Police have just been down our road again. My husband went out to ask what was going on, to be told by police officer nothing to worry about but that is not what we are hearing and not what it says on their website. All sorts of rumours flying about my children are really frightened.

    Everyone on estate very concerned so I think police need to inform residents what’s going on, to nip all of this gossip in the bud. Very unsettling

  • I hope all the people who thought I was going over the top about the way this town is deteriorating now take note. If the police do not get tough, if the residents do not take note of what is going on in their street and if parents do not take care of their offspring, this will just be a taster of what we are in for over the next few years. We still have a relatively safe town, lets keep it that way.

  • It just gets worse & worse – “and a boy aged 17 and a boy aged 15” – charged with attempted murder ! – What sort of low life trash are living here now.

  • Really Grim news, I wondered what was going on with the Police Helicopter hovering over Rawreth Lane/Sweyne Park area yesterday (Thursday) morning and then again last night…

    Of course we do not know the facts however perhaps those that contribute to this site continually stating that any troublemakers in Rayleigh are from outside the area will wake up and smell the coffee…

    Some of the problems here are caused by residents of Rayleigh and some of the youngsters involved are from Rayleigh. Their Parents need to start taking responsibility.

  • It’s sad to report that looking to the past doesn’t necessarily present a picture of Rayleigh without problems – the Rayleigh Bath Chair Murder of 1943 http://www.essex.police.uk/museum/history_35.htm maybe an extreme example, but it took place 67 years ago when the town was a lot smaller than it is today.

    I appreciate that this recent incident isn’t good news, but we have to look beyond this, ask ourselves if Rayleigh is a good place to live and the answer is yes.

  • Downhall Resident, I agree,yes Rayleigh is a good place to live and I love the town, otherwise I would have been long gone by now, but we have to be realistic. This town is getting more dangerous to live, I have witnessed increasing arrests on a Friday and Saturday night in the Town centre. There have been armed robberies in the town and I have personally seen, what I would assume to be gang fights on a weekend plus people openly selling drugs in our pubs. These are facts and we cannot hide these facts. The only way this town can be saved from going downhill is the residents taking a stand against these low lifes. It is in our hands.

  • It’s up to the Police to take a stand not the residents!If everyone starts taking the law into their own hands we really are going to turn into Ghetto Land.

    We all know these sorts of things are going on so you can’t tell me the Police don’t. They need to come up with an initiative as other constabularies around the country have to stamp this out!!

  • There is a regular meeting of the Neighbourhood Action Panel when matters regarding the police, their actions and policies can be raised with P.C. Sharp. Perhaps, more people could attend these meetings and raise concerns. Meetings are widely publicised and the next one is to be held at Rayleigh town Council Offices on 13th July at 7.30. See you there?

  • But we have to help the police. If the information that we give them is not acted on then this is their fault. But if we have information that will help to put these people away, it is in our hands. We all have a duty to keep our town safe, for our children.

  • In the light of the Police cuts brought about by the Government, we need to know what the result will be for RDC! And locally for Rayleigh?

  • The court case outcome is on the Enquirer website:

    http://www.theenquirer.co.uk/Rayleigh+man+jailed+for+stabbing%20id=4922

    A 44-year-old man from Rayleigh has been jailed for five years for stabbing a man in Rayleigh in June last year.

    Edward White of Downhall Park Way was sentenced at Crown Court on Wednesday, 20 April 2011 after previously pleading guilty to wounding with intent, affray and possession of an offensive weapon.

    White and three other people were involved in the stabbing of a 32-year-old man outside a shop on Downhall Road in Rayleigh on Wednesday, 23 June 2010.

    Alison White, 44, of Downhall Park Way and Frankie White, 20, of Bygrove Street, Poplar were also sentenced.

    Alison White received a five month sentence suspended for 18 months and was ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work having previously pleaded guilty to affray and assault.

    Frankie White received an 11 month sentence suspended for 18 months and was ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work having previously pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and affray.

    Both were also made the subject of an order preventing them from going to Downhall Stores in Downhall Road for one year.

    A 16-year-old boy from Rayleigh will appear at youth court at a later date.

    Date published: 21/04/2011 14:21:15